“‘Masques’ abroad by torchlight! Music! Sports!”*
.Welcome to the BookSworn’s Masked Ball!
Plus A Grand Giveaway:
15 Signed BookSworn Novels, 1 from Each BookSworn Author Featured
How better, we thought, to welcome you to our world, than with a celebration — but not just a masque that we hope you’ll have fun with, but a grand giveaway as well. And yes — it’s fully international!
To enter for the giveaway, you must first attend the masque—where behind each masked fellow guest you encounter, will be a character from a novel by a BookSworn author.
The “masks” we shall present to you over the next week will all take the form of an excerpt, each one drawn from one of the novels listed below, that features a character who is “central” to the book’s action, but not necessarily a “point of view” character.
How To Enter:
To win you must discover the name of the character behind each mask, and the novel in which he/she/it appears and email the result to:
swornadmin AT booksworn DOT com
[Note: We welcome your comments---but to be valid, entries must be emailed, not posted as comments. Any entries posted as comments will be removed by an administrator.]
- If more than one entrant identifies all the characters and novels correctly, then the giveaway winner will be drawn from the correct entries via Random.Org
- If no one entrant identifies all the characters and novels correctly, then the winner will be the entrant with the highest rate of correct entries; once again, where more than one entrant qualifies, the winner will be selected via Random.org
- In the event of multiple correct entries, your name/entry will be included in the draw again if you boost the signal:
- + 1 additional entry for mentioning via Facebook or Twitter
- + 2 additional entries for mentioning on your personal blog or forum site
[Please include links to your mentions in your entry email.]
- The masked ball will begin today, with “masks” being posted until Friday; the close-off for entries for the giveaway will be 12 midnight (US Eastern Standard Time) on Monday 25 March
- The winner will be notified via email and the result posted here on Wednesday 27 March
- If the winner does not respond to the notifying email by Friday 29 March (2013), the giveaway will be redrawn
- The contest and giveaway is fully international.
Note: The BookSworn may initiate a newsletter in future to directly notify supporters of special events and exclusive offers. If you do not wish your email to be added to a newsletter list, please specify this on your entry email.
Meet Your First 3 Masqueraders:
“He drew his rapier and held it up to the light. The rising sun gilded the elegant curves of the hilt and shimmered along the blade. Forty inches of finest Solingen steel, exquisite and deadly.
Mandritta, reversa, fendente, tonda… His fencing master’s voice echoed in his memory as he adopted the terzia guardia stance, blade dipping towards the grass.
He moved through the familiar drills, emptying his mind, becoming the blade. Stepping back and forth along the garden path, the tip of his rapier wove a pattern of glittering arcs above the rows of dew-spangled cabbages, sending butterflies spiralling up like scraps of torn paper.”
“The Gorovna was not complete and had been readied with only five muskets. They were removed from their locker by the master and four of them were passed out to the crewmen known to be good with the weapon. The fifth was handed to him.
He immediately pulled one of the walrus tusk cartridges filled with gunpowder from the bandolier across his chest and began loading the weapon. He finished well before the others and began scanning the ground below. It took him a moment to find it among the mottled patches of stone and snow—a skiff, nestled in a copse of scrub pine. Once he had found the ship, he found the men. Twenty paces away four of them kneeled at the edge of a tall cliff that ended hundreds of feet below in a forest of spruce. They appeared to be inspecting the ground, though for what reason he couldn’t guess.”
“A gust caught at her long brown hair, pulling it into her pretty oval face. When the sun was bright it brought out golden highlights in her curls. In the approaching storm she resembled a graveyard angel. One graceful hand captured the flying tresses and trapped them behind her ear. Her coat flapped open, and he saw she was wearing a new green dress.”
List Of The Books In Which Our Masked Characters Appear (in alphabetical order by author):
The Winds of Khalakovo by Bradley Beaulieu
Songs Of The Earth by Elspeth Cooper
Among Thieves by Doug Hulick
Exile by Betsy Dornbusch
Miserere by Teresa Frohock
No Return by Zachary Jernigan
King Of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leicht
The Heir of Night by Helen Lowe
The Alchemist of Souls by Anne Lyle
Blood’s Pride by Evie Manieri
Scourge Of The Betrayer by Jeff Salyards
The Tainted City by Courtney Schafer
Tymon’s Flight by Mary Victoria
The Emperor’s Knife by Mazarkis Williams
*Quote adapted from Tourneur, The Revenger’s Tragedy